Wednesday 12 April 2017

What is a Letter? - PPP - Studio Brief 2 - Creative Report

Choosing to contact my chosen creatives by letter, it needed to be eye catching and engaging for them to read and spark a response too. Having looked at Craig Oldham's book 'The Hand Written Letter Project' it appears that the best responses are those that are creative and that the letter, which Oldham sent to these designers, sparked these varied responses. I wanted a unique looking letter to make it stand out more, I have looked at a number of letter styles particularly those which are featured in Craig Oldham's book.


The responses Oldham received varied from the normal to the creative, non-legible writing to just imagery. Above are too unique responses from Brahm (Left) an award-winning advertising agency, where they have replied in just lines where type would usually be, there is no meaning or explanation it is just something they wanted to send back to Oldham for his project. Another response for The Formation Creative Consultants, a multi-discipline design agency which is branded like a military operation sent this War code style message in response, another interesting way to respond to Oldham project.  



Erik Kessels from KesselsKramer (Creative design studio based in Amsterdam Holland) replied with some simple helpful advice, though the letterhead of Kessel Kramer alone is interesting enough to have in the project. Others have printed images like this response of a large fingerprint.







Each studio and designer has responded to Oldhams project in their own unique way, the most interesting ones are those which are colourful and bold, I want to incorporate my own style into my letters to my chosen designers, for example, using work I have produced already to create a set of letters would show my practice and also engage my targets. 

Thinking further about letter design is how it appears when sent, a blank envelope could go unnoticed, as seen in 'The hand written letter project' some have responded using postcards, very open bright visuals which do not require an envelope but can be sent just as they are, they are simple and bold and stand out amongst a pile of regular letters, I shall look more into postcard design and how I can incorporate my own work into this style.


No comments:

Post a Comment