Tuesday 11 April 2017

PPP Nest submission - engaging in the industry


NEST

Nest is a bi-monthly free publication run by second-year Graphic design student Erin Blamire, each issue follows a certain concept and is open to submissions which if chosen forms the content. The summer edition of the magazine had the theme of 'space' this can be subjective and interpreted in a number of different ways but there was an emphasis put on it being about 'outer-space'.  I had been using PPP to attempt more of my own work and I felt that nest would be another way of exploring my personal interests and styles in another platform. Again I wanted to use skills which I had been enjoying using through the year and progressing with them to see what I could produce, I began to collage and found that I only really enjoy using images of flat towers and old northern council flats, the shape and the boldness are really interesting and they're not attractive architecture in many ways. I wanted to produce an interest conceptual piece which was abstract and different from what I'd been producing before. I explored monoprint and David Bowie songs to realise this piece, again I wanted to produce pieces which were influenced by a lot of things and were not in keeping with the normal conformist rules of graphic design, these side briefs were my way of exploring new styles and new scenes of design. I have been developing a style into my work which can be seen throughout PPP, especially in submissions made to competitions and briefs, I hope to continue this but with more emphasis on type, and how type can relay messages within my work.



No comments:

Post a Comment