Tuesday 15 March 2016

Records






























Having my own collection of records I have a wide range of covers to look at to start researching and taking inspiration from. I looked at a range of singles and records spanning music genres and varying in cover design. I find some covers rely a lot on the bands image and make it so it is clear it is them, for example Joy Division records are subtle and do not state that it is them, they rely on a gothic style and the only type on the front of the design is the name of the record or signature song on the album. Some of the records have a unique edge to them, for example the 'Foals' record which has the album name and band name on a sticker on the front which is to be taken of to see the full image of the album cover. Some albums take an illustrative or hand made approach, like the Kinks Face to Face record, which was creating using paints and inks on fabric originally, I like the colourful physcedelic feel of the cover, one which I would like to attempt myself.

Other albums seem to use just type and photographs, a popular and often interesting technique for album design is collaging or editing photos to create a new image. I like the idea of collaging or editing to form the cover I shall investigate looking into these methods closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment