Wednesday 16 March 2016

Final Solutions Self Branding



Having used the tote bag idea throughout my design process I attempted to produce a final solution using this method from my playlist design. It would have much more function than if my own logo was on it, the design of the songs on the tote bag would be taken out in public and worn more than a tote bag with my initials or name or contact details on. I felt this way would work a lot better as long as I produced a logo using the same aesthetic and design as this brand. I chose to screen print onto the tote bags as it is the most efficient method to produce a number of bags. Though I have screen printed a number of times onto paper using the screen printing beds I had never screen printed onto fabric before and was unaware it was a different process. It had some of the basics which are common in any form of screen print but required a different type of screen to if I was printing on to paper. It also required me to print on to a work top made from material, this different process created problems for me to figure out. I wanted to screen print to get a rough style of design as using these methods usually causes prints to come out obscured from the original design and often create a new look of design which in my opinion is usually more successful than the original clean idea. The first print of the red circle and the title of the design came out rather clean and how expected but above is the second print I did, the type came out fine yet the ink didn't fully penetrate and caused this effect on the circle which I feel is a lot more authentic and original, it is rough and looks worn which is a style I enjoy creating. I felt that as I went along the design changed slightly on each one which lead ti each tote bag being unique.



When printing the black type over the red circle I found it very difficult to find a perfect alignment and struggled to get a good balance on the separate designs, resulting in some of the bags to have the type low or high, yet these still creating unique and individual styles on each tote bag something I wanted to happen so that the bags represent my style, I knew what I would be getting into. By the last bag I had figured out a good method of which to align the bags with the type, which is why I am glad I left this one above to the end as it came out perfect in my opinion showcasing the roughness of the screen print style whilst also being near spot on to the layout on the original digital design.


I produced a small side design to hold more information about the tote bag contents and also to hold my  contact details for when I network with other designers and for online purposes for my social networking sites such as Instagram and twitter. I have included the title of the spottily playlist that links to the tote bag which is available to follow and publicly listen to. I am adding a song each day asking people for contributions of songs towards it to keep it updated, fresh and growing genres. I have also included my email to contact me about my work and the playlist.



No comments:

Post a Comment