Friday 11 March 2016

EXPERIMENTS - SELF BRANDING



Having attempted to create a solution to the brief using hand drawn experiments, I felt that the natural route to take my ideas further would be through designing digitally. I initially wanted to create something with my initials so began attempting different typefaces and forms of type faces. I wanted to go for a retro style as it emulated my interests and the work and also music that inspires my practice.

I have been heavily inspired by old album covers and one website archive in particular, BlueNote records, I look at there archive throughout the years from when they were founded, the records are all individual and different from one another, the colours and type all have a unique feel, some of these were produced around the 30's which means the majority are hand made, which makes the visuals even better. I took inspiration from these covers and one in particular is the 'Jimmy Smith : New sound New star' album cover which is an over printed 'A', I liked the idea of the hand made method of production. It is a style which I try to use in my work and is the type of work which inspires and influences me, I like the rough feel that you get through screen and mono print, it forms a different print almost every time and the way it can go wrong and still work, it creates a new different look each time. It is a route I would like to look at, to produce my logo or brand.




I thought about what I could have a logo on other than a business card. I use tote bags every day and they are such a practical object, which can be used to carry shopping (A useful product since the 5p bag charge came in) and can also be folded away into a pocket or jacket. I thought first of using something cloth as something in the print room at university said, someone used dish clothes to print on to as his music bands merchandise, it is easier to carry than a paper poster as it can be folded into a pocket and is very easy to carry, this influenced me to consider a cloth product and a tote bag as I own many and are such a practical product, one I assume would be useful to other creatives.

No comments:

Post a Comment