Thursday 25 February 2016

Berlin


During the summer of 2015 I visited Berlin with some friends, having looked at Berlin based designers throughout my college years and really wanted to visit to see the history, art and culture of Germanys capital. Luckily I managed to find a couple of people to go with and so booked the trip with staying in a hostel for a week, to meet new people and then for the other half of the trip spent in a small flat in the suburbs of Berlin city. When I got there and experienced the public transport to the hostel I found the views and the people who I met so nice, I realised so many difference between countries within 15 minutes of arriving. In the hostel we joined a pub crawl and met people from around the world who were travelling Europe, I got to experience and speak to a number of different people from a range of backgrounds. On our first full day we visited a number of landmarks in Berlin such as the Brandenburg Gate, the Holocaust Memorial and a number of historical buildings such as the Reichstag. Whilst at the holocaust memorial site I was moved by the sheer scale and solemness of it, it was a very humbling experience of the site of the work by architect Peter Eisenman and engineer Buro Happold.


During my time in Berlin I got to try out the culture and try the food and drink, It was such a different type of life than what we lead in England it is so cultured and interesting, the shape of the city and the amount of things that go on is incredible. I visited a graphic design studio and was only able to look through the window and in the courtyard of the design company but I saw some great things from just that. I would love to live there and hopefully one day work there, it has inspired me so much through what I saw and would love to one day to return.




No comments:

Post a Comment