Thursday 19 October 2017

OUGD603 - PPP - UK Based Design studios to contact

I have identified a number of designers/design studios to contact in order to discuss their practice, what tips they have for my own progression and also if I can get a placement or studio visit.

Darren Cullen - Spelling Mistakes Cost Lives - Darren Cullen is an artist, designer, illustrator and guerilla advertiser whos work parodies political/military policy of the UK and US. Cullen is outspoken yet this is the reason I would like to contact him, his work communicates strong and valuable messages on often overlooked important subjects.

Email Adress: darren@spellingmistakescostlives.com

spin studio
- London - Exciting bold design studio working on a range of international based design. I would like to mail these as there ethics and design experimentation aline with my own. Working on a mix of print and digital design, I feel there work would aline with my own.

Email - studio@spin.co.uk

dr.me
-Manchester
DR.ME is made up of Ryan Doyle (DR) and Mark Edwards (ME), The pair studied together at Manchester School of Art & Design where they were paired together on the first day due to alphabetical serendipity. Upon leaving university the pair went and worked for a period in New York before returning in 2010 to open the studio. Alongside creating record sleeves for record labels including Tri Angle Records, Young Turks and Memphis Industries, poster art for The xx, MIDI Festival and YoungArts Miami the studio also spent a year creating a collage a day in their 365 Days of Collage project which led to the ‘Choice Cuts’ exhibition at Home and the studio being asked to author a book on the use of collage in design entitled ‘Cut That Out. There work with collage and traditional print is a path I want to go down, being able to apply my skills on a professional level would be both incredible and elevate my practice hugely.



Email-info@dr-me.com
craig Oldham
-Manchester

Craig Oldham is the Author of In Loving Memory of work, a book about the fight of the coal miners during the strikes in the 1980s, a piece of design which I have admired and referenced within many of my briefs over the time spent at uni. Having attempted to contact him last year only to Craig not replying due to his current position at Falmouth University, I wanted to attempt to reopen dialog with him.


Contact - craigo@craigoldham.co.uk
-hello@craigoldham.co.uk


print project
-West Yorkshire

Having met and interview Nick Loram or the print project, in Shipley last year, I wanted to discuss deeper how he started his own print room and how he has funded his work. Knowing already he works alone in a small studio, I knew potential internships would be not available, but I knew Nick would have valuable advice for me.


Magpie Studio
-London
Magpie is a design studio which focuses on big ideas and conviction, working on large projects, which often have a bright theme, I feel this would be another very influential place to visit and possibly intern at.



No comments:

Post a Comment